The New Windsor Police Department is a full time public service agency providing twenty-four hour law enforcement coverage and emergency dispatching services to the town. All police, fire, and emergency medical dispatching needs are conducted from police headquarters, located at the Town Hall Complex.
Police Chief Michael Biasotti and Deputy Chief Richard Hovey are graduates of the FBI's National Academy, located in Quantico, Virginia. The Police Department achieved New York State accreditation from the New York State Accreditation Council in 1996 and 2001. In 2006, they were reaccredited for another five year term.
The Police Department provides a full range of services to the community, from investigating serious crimes to providing daily contact for the elderly. Several officers have been certified as child passenger safety technicians and will assist with the installation and inspection of child safety seats in vehicles.
The Police Department is staffed by forty five full time officers, nineteen full and part time civilian staff members, and three police canines.
The Town of New Windsor Police Department has a long history of service to the residents of the town. Its roots begin back in 1763 when the town was created from the Precinct of New Windsor, and shortly after the end of the French and Indian War. After establishing a local government, a Constabulary was established consisting of 6 elected constables. These early constables were responsible for patrolling the town, serving warrants, and providing security at annual town meetings and elections. In addition, one of the early constables was also the Poor Master who checked on local families making sure they had food, water and shelter.
The Constabulary continued to grow and was supplemented by special officers and a game constable. At various times constables were given warrants to arrest fathers who had been delinquent in rendering monetary support to the mothers of their illegitimate children. In the late 19th century, constables were employed to enforce town laws and Town Board resolution pertaining to animals, livestock, health and sanitation. In 1909 the constables recovered their first stolen car that had been abandoned on the Moodna Creek Bridge.
The introduction of the automobile caused many new problems and concerns for town constables. Speeding vehicles accompanied by citizen complaints caused the Town Board to seek assistance from the New York State Police by having a trooper assigned to patrol Quassiack Avenue and assist the constables.
During the 1960's the Town Board recognized the need to establish a full time police department. The growth of the town and its population necessitated the change in policing from constables to police officers. The constable now became a part time officer and was assisted by the auxiliary police.
In 1961 former Chief Constable James W. Coritz was appointed Chief of Police. In 1965 Chief Coritz organized a full time police department and officers would no longer have to patrol in their own vehicles. The first police car was purchased that year for a sum of $2,359.49. As full time officers were hired, the town secured a building on Ruscitti Road to use as Police Headquarters. This move finally allowed officers to move out of the cramped quarters in Chief Coriz's basement garage.
By 1970 the department had outgrown this building and moved into a store front in the Antonelli building on Windsor Highway. Police Headquarters was later moved to the old Town Hall building at 244 Union Avenue and in 1976 then Town Supervisor William Larkin relocated the police department to Building 708 at Stewart International Airport.
Chief Coritz continued to lead the department. He built up a staff of 20 full time officers. He was also responsible for the creation of the first detective position in the department. He retired in 1982 after 30 years of dedicated service.
In 1982, Chief Coritz was succeeded by Sergeant Dominick "Nick" D'Egidio who remained in command until 1984. He retired in 1986 after as a full time police officer for over 20 years. In 1984 Walter Koury was promoted to take over command of the department. Lt. Michael Biasotti was promoted to chief in March of 2004.
In 1991 former New Windsor Police Administrative Sergeant George Green was the Town Supervisor who was responsible for the development of the Town's new Police/Court facility at 555 Union Avenue. The Police Department moved into its new headquarters in May of that year.
The New Windsor Police Department shoulder patch contains depictions of historical events of the past. It also portrays an original story of principles and patriotism that are consistent with life in New Windsor.
The main themes embodied in the patch are freedom, the new democracy, exploration, commerce, pride and peace. The Town of New Windsor was incorporated in 1763. Since that time there has always been some form of police presence in the community. The role of the early constabulary was to provide service and to keep the peace.
New Windsor, New York is a town that is rooted deep with significant history. Revolutionary war General George Washington stationed his troops at the New Windsor Cantonment just north of the present day Vails Gate. These Continental Army Troops were at this encampment from 1782 until the cessation of hostilities in 1783. These troops endured and fought for liberty, honor and highly held beliefs.
The American Revolution ended in 1783 with a peace treaty between the thirteen colonies and England. New Windsor is situated on the western shore of the majestic Hudson River. The shore at Plum Point is an areas where the riverâ€™s bay has been home to sailboats, triple masted sailing barks, steamboats and shipbuilders. The Hudson River has been a long standing passage for those involved in exploration and commerce.
On the top of the patch above and to the right of the Continental Soldier is the rising sun. This rising sun represents freedom and the birth of a new nation.
On both sides of the soldier are the mountains of the Hudson Highlands, Breakneck Mountain is on the left. ON the right is the Storm King Mountain. Bannermanâ€™s island sits just below breakneck and behind the Continental soldier.
Tucked behind the mountain is the American Flag. The thirteen stars represent the original colonies that fought in the revolutionary war. This early flag symbolizes patriotism and independence.
The Continental Soldier is shown standing on the shoreline near the riverâ€™s bay at Plum Point. He stands tall in defense of his country. He represents principle and pride.
The ships traversing the bay represent exploration and commerce. To the left of the soldier is a ship that represents the half moon. This ship was piloted by the English explorer Henry Hudson. The ship to the right of the soldier is a triple masted sailing vessel that represents commerce. These types of ships disembark from the Port of New Windsor. They transported goods and raw materials to points south and New York City.
The wreaths on both sides of the patch are symbolic of the olive branches that appear on many seals and crests.
In 1783 General George Washington gave a powerful speech to his soldiers at the Cantonment. He strove to impress upon them the importance of principle, patriotism and patient virtue. He spoke of dignity, honor, justice, the rights of humanity, veracity, gratitude of peace. These core values have set the foundation for the mission and purpose of the Town of New Windsor Police Department.
Historical perspective of the Town of New Windsor Police Shoulder Patch provided by Retired Sergeant Gregory Gaetano.